What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is thinly sliced cuts of meat, like chicken, beef, goat, lamb, and sometimes turkey, rolled into a large piece of flatbread or pita that has been steamed or heated. Inside the pita, foods like hummus, tahini, pickles, vegetables, and even french fries are added. Think of shawarma as a taco or burrito Middle Eastern style.
How is Shawarma Made?
Raw meat is placed on large, rotating cones. As it rotates, the meat is cooked by a heat source that is located behind the actual cone. The meat slowly falls off or is thinly sliced by a chef with a large knife. It can take several hours to fully cook.
What is Served with Shawarma
It usually serve with fries, salads like tabouleh, falafel, and just by itself for a quick bite on the go. In some places it is served alone, without the pita or flatbread.
- 2 lbs beef or chickens or lamb, sliced very thin
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onions, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 slices pita bread
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- mixed sprouts
- lettuce, sliced thin
- 2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt
- 2 cucumbers – peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper sauce, vinegar, onion, black and cayenne pepper, mace, and salt.
- Add meat and marinate overnight.
- (at least 12 hours-stir a few times) Grill the meat until done or broil in oven.
- Combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Whisk well.
- Add water if needed.
- To make the sandwich slice open a pita, spread some tahini sauce on the bread and add some lettuce and sprouts, tomato, onion and meat.
- Pour on a little tzatziki and chow down.
Prepare the Pita
Place enough chicken on pita that cover 1/4 of the loaf. Add veggies and pour sauce. Roll like a soft taco or burrito and you have shawarma! You can also stuff the pocket of the pita if you like. I prefer to roll large pitas (this is where making your own pita comes in handy).
source: mideastfood.about.com, recipezaar.com, allrecipes.com
Leave a comment
- Agrilink, Foodlink, Aqualink 2014
- Best Durian Farm Practices and Other Tips
- How to Make Organic Insect Repellant
- Technology for Making Coco Methyl Ester (CME) Or Biodiesel
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 4
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 3
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 2
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 1
- How to Make Mushroom Burger for your Foodcart Business
- Home-Based Business: Making Beaded Curtain Tassels
- Growing Kaong (Sugar Palm), Other Uses
- Growing Kaong (Sugar Palm) Primer
- honeyjane fernandez on Starting a Drugstore or Pharmacy Business
- Julieta T.Tsuda on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- Daisy Ferrer on Tricycle, Jeepney, Taxi and FX Operation
- leo ryan bayang on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Growing Management
- leo ryan bayang on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- migel on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- Ben Orozco on Guide to Proper Feeding of Hog/Swine
- Ben Orozco on How to Grow Bell Pepper (High Value Crops)
- jay on Financial Literacy 101 (Tips & Terminologies)
- edwin on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer