What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is thinly sliced cuts of meat, like chicken, beef, goat, lamb, and sometimes turkey, rolled into a large piece of flatbread or pita that has been steamed or heated. Inside the pita, foods like hummus, tahini, pickles, vegetables, and even french fries are added. Think of shawarma as a taco or burrito Middle Eastern style.
How is Shawarma Made?
Raw meat is placed on large, rotating cones. As it rotates, the meat is cooked by a heat source that is located behind the actual cone. The meat slowly falls off or is thinly sliced by a chef with a large knife. It can take several hours to fully cook.
What is Served with Shawarma
It usually serve with fries, salads like tabouleh, falafel, and just by itself for a quick bite on the go. In some places it is served alone, without the pita or flatbread.
- 2 lbs beef or chickens or lamb, sliced very thin
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onions, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 slices pita bread
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- mixed sprouts
- lettuce, sliced thin
- 2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt
- 2 cucumbers – peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper sauce, vinegar, onion, black and cayenne pepper, mace, and salt.
- Add meat and marinate overnight.
- (at least 12 hours-stir a few times) Grill the meat until done or broil in oven.
- Combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Whisk well.
- Add water if needed.
- To make the sandwich slice open a pita, spread some tahini sauce on the bread and add some lettuce and sprouts, tomato, onion and meat.
- Pour on a little tzatziki and chow down.
Prepare the Pita
Place enough chicken on pita that cover 1/4 of the loaf. Add veggies and pour sauce. Roll like a soft taco or burrito and you have shawarma! You can also stuff the pocket of the pita if you like. I prefer to roll large pitas (this is where making your own pita comes in handy).
source: mideastfood.about.com, recipezaar.com, allrecipes.com
Leave a comment
- Techno-Guide on Multi-Commodity Solar Tunnel Dryer (MCSTD)
- Soil Testing, The Right First Step
- How to Make Salted Eggs in Heated Clay Method
- How to Make Cheese Spread from Carabao’s Milk (Filipino)
- Sea Urchin Culture in Cages
- Raising and Culture of Red Tilapia (Filipino)
- How to Make Pastillas de Leche (Home Business)
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 6
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 5
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 4
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 3
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 2
- beth on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- aubrey on What is Organic Food? Organic Foods 101
- venie on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- venie tenepere on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- ARTEMIO iSRAEL on Starting a Water Refilling Station Business
- FELIX ELIZON on Catfish (Hito) Culture – Primer
- jun on How to Make Hamburger (Commercial Recipe)
- jun on Hardware and Construction Supply Business Tips
- honeyjane fernandez on Starting a Drugstore or Pharmacy Business
- Julieta T.Tsuda on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership