What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is thinly sliced cuts of meat, like chicken, beef, goat, lamb, and sometimes turkey, rolled into a large piece of flatbread or pita that has been steamed or heated. Inside the pita, foods like hummus, tahini, pickles, vegetables, and even french fries are added. Think of shawarma as a taco or burrito Middle Eastern style.
How is Shawarma Made?
Raw meat is placed on large, rotating cones. As it rotates, the meat is cooked by a heat source that is located behind the actual cone. The meat slowly falls off or is thinly sliced by a chef with a large knife. It can take several hours to fully cook.
What is Served with Shawarma
It usually serve with fries, salads like tabouleh, falafel, and just by itself for a quick bite on the go. In some places it is served alone, without the pita or flatbread.
- 2 lbs beef or chickens or lamb, sliced very thin
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onions, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 slices pita bread
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced onions
- mixed sprouts
- lettuce, sliced thin
- 2 (8 ounce) containers plain yogurt
- 2 cucumbers – peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
In a food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cucumber, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and garlic. Process until well-combined. Transfer to a separate dish, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour for best flavor.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, pepper sauce, vinegar, onion, black and cayenne pepper, mace, and salt.
- Add meat and marinate overnight.
- (at least 12 hours-stir a few times) Grill the meat until done or broil in oven.
- Combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Whisk well.
- Add water if needed.
- To make the sandwich slice open a pita, spread some tahini sauce on the bread and add some lettuce and sprouts, tomato, onion and meat.
- Pour on a little tzatziki and chow down.
Prepare the Pita
Place enough chicken on pita that cover 1/4 of the loaf. Add veggies and pour sauce. Roll like a soft taco or burrito and you have shawarma! You can also stuff the pocket of the pita if you like. I prefer to roll large pitas (this is where making your own pita comes in handy).
source: mideastfood.about.com, recipezaar.com, allrecipes.com
Leave a comment
- Proper Feeding for Fattening Cow (Filipino)
- Technology Snapshots: Goat Crossbreeds (Filipino)
- An Egg a Day is Ok
- Sweet Potato Contains Anti-aging Nutrients
- Plant-Based Natural Pesticides (Filipino)
- Coco Water Prolongs Freshness of Vegetables
- Steps How to Export Your Farm Produce
- Production and Business Guide on Egg Layers, Storage Part 5
- Production and Business Guide on Egg Layers, Production Part 3
- Production and Business Guide on Egg Layers, Health Part 4
- Production and Business Guide on Egg Layers, Management Part 2
- Production and Business Guide on Egg Layers Part 1
- joy on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- Vincent on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- Artemio Israel on Starting a Water Refilling Station Business
- Bianca on Hardware and Construction Supply Business Tips
- Filipinas on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- Grey Hound on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- beth on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- aubrey on What is Organic Food? Organic Foods 101
- venie on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- venie tenepere on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership