How to Make Gelatin from Seaweeds
An article by pinghoi No Comments
Seaweeds must be harvested from the sea very early in the morning or while the tide is still low.
- Wash the seaweeds very well, drain and dry (Spread over a wire or bamboo screen for the purpose) for a week.
- To remove the fishy odor and taste, soak and dry the seaweeds in fresh water for 5-10 minutes, and dry again in the sun until it becomes dirty yellow in color.
- Bleach in 1 liter of water with 1 tbsp. vinegar until it turns olive green in color.
- Put again in the sun until it turns light brown.
To extract agar:
- Put 1 kilo dried seaweeds in 1 liter water with 1 tbsp. Vinegar (or more effective, in 3-1/2 liter water, 80 ml. 0.1 N sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
- Boil and constantly stir for 1 hour.
- Strain in muslin cloth while hot.
- Allow to cool in room temperature for 5 hours.
- When it has hardened, slice into desired sizes.
- Put in ice sprinkled with salt for 2-3 days, or in a freezer overnight.
- Next day, thaw the frozen seaweeds and allow to dry.
- Put again in the sun until the desired fineness is attained.
- When it cools, it is then ready to cook or bring to market.
Leave a comment
- Agrilink, Foodlink, Aqualink 2014
- Best Durian Farm Practices and Other Tips
- How to Make Organic Insect Repellant
- Technology for Making Coco Methyl Ester (CME) Or Biodiesel
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 4
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 3
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 2
- Guide to Pineapple Queen Growing (in Filipino), Part 1
- How to Make Mushroom Burger for your Foodcart Business
- Home-Based Business: Making Beaded Curtain Tassels
- Growing Kaong (Sugar Palm), Other Uses
- Growing Kaong (Sugar Palm) Primer
- honeyjane fernandez on Starting a Drugstore or Pharmacy Business
- Julieta T.Tsuda on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- Daisy Ferrer on Tricycle, Jeepney, Taxi and FX Operation
- leo ryan bayang on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Growing Management
- leo ryan bayang on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- migel on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- Ben Orozco on Guide to Proper Feeding of Hog/Swine
- Ben Orozco on How to Grow Bell Pepper (High Value Crops)
- jay on Financial Literacy 101 (Tips & Terminologies)
- edwin on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer