How to Make Gelatin from Seaweeds
An article by pinghoi No Comments
Seaweeds must be harvested from the sea very early in the morning or while the tide is still low.
- Wash the seaweeds very well, drain and dry (Spread over a wire or bamboo screen for the purpose) for a week.
- To remove the fishy odor and taste, soak and dry the seaweeds in fresh water for 5-10 minutes, and dry again in the sun until it becomes dirty yellow in color.
- Bleach in 1 liter of water with 1 tbsp. vinegar until it turns olive green in color.
- Put again in the sun until it turns light brown.
To extract agar:
- Put 1 kilo dried seaweeds in 1 liter water with 1 tbsp. Vinegar (or more effective, in 3-1/2 liter water, 80 ml. 0.1 N sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
- Boil and constantly stir for 1 hour.
- Strain in muslin cloth while hot.
- Allow to cool in room temperature for 5 hours.
- When it has hardened, slice into desired sizes.
- Put in ice sprinkled with salt for 2-3 days, or in a freezer overnight.
- Next day, thaw the frozen seaweeds and allow to dry.
- Put again in the sun until the desired fineness is attained.
- When it cools, it is then ready to cook or bring to market.
Leave a comment
- Techno-Guide on Multi-Commodity Solar Tunnel Dryer (MCSTD)
- Soil Testing, The Right First Step
- How to Make Salted Eggs in Heated Clay Method
- How to Make Cheese Spread from Carabao’s Milk (Filipino)
- Sea Urchin Culture in Cages
- Raising and Culture of Red Tilapia (Filipino)
- How to Make Pastillas de Leche (Home Business)
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 6
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 5
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 4
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 3
- Plant Species with Essential Oil for Perfume Production Part 2
- Artemio Israel on Starting a Water Refilling Station Business
- beth on Growing Grapes in the Philippines, Primer
- aubrey on What is Organic Food? Organic Foods 101
- venie on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- venie tenepere on Beer and Softdrinks Dealership
- ARTEMIO iSRAEL on Starting a Water Refilling Station Business
- FELIX ELIZON on Catfish (Hito) Culture – Primer
- jun on How to Make Hamburger (Commercial Recipe)
- jun on Hardware and Construction Supply Business Tips
- honeyjane fernandez on Starting a Drugstore or Pharmacy Business