How to Make Gelatin from Seaweeds
An article by admin No Comments
Seaweeds must be harvested from the sea very early in the morning or while the tide is still low.
- Wash the seaweeds very well, drain and dry (Spread over a wire or bamboo screen for the purpose) for a week.
- To remove the fishy odor and taste, soak and dry the seaweeds in fresh water for 5-10 minutes, and dry again in the sun until it becomes dirty yellow in color.
- Bleach in 1 liter of water with 1 tbsp. vinegar until it turns olive green in color.
- Put again in the sun until it turns light brown.
To extract agar:
- Put 1 kilo dried seaweeds in 1 liter water with 1 tbsp. Vinegar (or more effective, in 3-1/2 liter water, 80 ml. 0.1 N sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
- Boil and constantly stir for 1 hour.
- Strain in muslin cloth while hot.
- Allow to cool in room temperature for 5 hours.
- When it has hardened, slice into desired sizes.
- Put in ice sprinkled with salt for 2-3 days, or in a freezer overnight.
- Next day, thaw the frozen seaweeds and allow to dry.
- Put again in the sun until the desired fineness is attained.
- When it cools, it is then ready to cook or bring to market.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- How to Make Hamburger (Commercial Recipe)
- How to Grow Peanuts
- Water Refilling Station Business, A Primer
- Medicinal Plants for Animals
- How to Grow Radish
- Laundry Business Tips and Advice
- Raising Tilapia and Other Fishpond Tips
- How to Make Dipped Candles
- How to Make Peanut Brittle
- How to Make Pastillas de Mani
- How to Make Peanut Butter
- Different Ways to Make Compost