How to Grow Carrots
The carrot is one of the principal vegetables in the market for its rich content of carotene, Vitamins C and B besides calcium iron and phosphorus. This may be eaten cooked or raw. In other countries, the carrot is also used as medicine.
In Mexico, carrot is boiled in milk to give relief against cough and painful chest. In Europe, boiled carrot is known for its cure for jaundice. And if eaten raw, it drives out intestinal parasites.
Manner of Planting
In the Philippines, carrot grows in high altitudes. It likes fertile, loose soil that does not retain water. It dislikes sea water and hardly grows in soil with a high boron content.
- The land for planting carrot must be prepared — fine and not in clumps.
- Holes for sowing the seeds must be about 2 cm, and 20 cm apart.
- The seeds are sown directly on the ground.
- After sowing the seeds, cover them with fine soil. They will germinate within 3 weeks after planting. Good planting time is between October-December where there is rain.
- Do not plant in areas where water stays because this will cause the roots and fruit to rot. But the plant also needs watering while it grows to make the fruit well developed.
- The best fertilizer is compost, but if chemical fertilizers will be used, it is recommended that NPK 90+170+90 be broadcast over the field for every hectare before planting, and during rainy days.
- Do the same during dry weather.
- In planting, apply half of the nitrogen and all of the phosphorus and potassium on the soil. Apply the remaining half 4-6 weeks after planting. If animal manure will be used, apply 8-10 tons per hectare, and supplement with complete fertilizer.
- Reduce the leaves when the plants are 15 cm high and already sturdy. 10. Put thin soil at the base of the plant to prevent the greening of the shoulder of the crop.
The most common enemy of the carrot is the larvae that eats the leaves. Spray this with tercyl. The disease of the leaves can be controlled if there is crop rotation in its place, the field is cultured, and sprayed with Parafungus or Fugitox. Avoid the bruising of the roots so as to prevent rotting.
According to kind, carrot may be harvested from 3 to 6 months after planting. By digging a little beneath the plant, the size or growth of the growing carrot can be seen. In harvesting, remove only the dried leaves. The young end roots hasten drying up, so these must be removed.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.
- Ornamental Fish Breeding: Uncovering a Billion-Dollar Industry Part 2
- Ornamental Fish Breeding: Uncovering a Billion-Dollar Industry Part 1
- Sweet Sorghum: Raw Material for Ethanol
- The Benefits of Seaweed Farming
- Portable Multi-Purpose Smokehouse
- Cassava: Surviving the Menace of Drought
- Growing Potato Without Soil (Hydroponics)
- How to Extract Sugar From Coco Sap (Tuba)
- Growing Jathropa (Tuba-Tuba)
- Small Scale Swine/Hog Production Tips
- Natural Dye Weaving Technology
- Tiles from Bamboo Made Easy
- Ornamental Fish Breeding: Uncovering a Billion-Dollar Industry Part 1 « Business Ideas on Ornamental Fish Breeding: Uncovering a Billion-Dollar Industry Part 2
- Ornamental Fish Breeding: Uncovering a Billion-Dollar Industry Part 2 « Business Ideas on Ornamental Fish Breeding: Uncovering a Billion-Dollar Industry Part 1
- Goat Raising Primer « Business Ideas on Goat Raising, Management
- Goat Raising, Other Practices & Production Inputs « Business Ideas on Goat Raising Primer
- Production of Pummelo, Pest Control and Harvesting « Business Ideas on Production of Pummelo, Primer and Cultivars
- Production of Pummelo, Primer and Cultivars « Business Ideas on Production of Pummelo, Orchard Establishment
- Production of Pummelo, Orchard Establishment « Business Ideas on Production of Pummelo, Primer and Cultivars
- How to Make Marshmallow, Recipe « Business Ideas on How to Make Marshmallow, Starter
- How to Make Marshmallow, Starter « Business Ideas on How to Make Marshmallow, Recipe
- Culture and Production of Roses, Primer « Business Ideas on Culture and Production of Roses, Diseases